Christmas Rei from Evangelion
Event(s): Anime NYC 2017
A week before Anime NYC, YuffieBunny and I were trying to brainstorm something we could make quickly that would match. Eventually she threw out that she'd love a Rei to match her Asuka and I was quick to say, "okay!!"
I went to Hobby Lobby the next morning with my fingers crossed that they would have materials I could use so I wouldn't have to drive an hour to Joann Fabrics. Luckily, since it was so close to Christmas, they did! I looked at a Santa costume pattern to figure out how much material I would need and picked up my fabrics.
The outside of the coat is a really cheap faux velvet and the inside is an adorable red cotton patterned with little gold stars! I picked up the only white fur they had and hoped that it would match Bunny's. The dress is made from the opposite side some red lycra I already had on hand.
The dress is made from my generic stretch dress pattern and I made a coat pattern just for the coat, using a hood from a children's robe pattern to complete it. The coat is completely lined and the only showing seams are the arm holes! Sewing the fur trim in was the most difficult part, but after doing it the first time, I got kind of used to it.
For the toggles, I bought four sets of two different colors and spray painted them gold. The paint decided it wanted to stay sticky, so after a day, I coated them all in quick dry top coat nail polish. Luckily, that sealed the sticky in just fine and I was able to hand sew each one onto the jacket after carefully measuring where each one should go.
The same trip to Hobby Lobby, I bought a bunch of wooden pieces for the prop. I wasn't sure if I was going to have time to make it before the convention, but I was ready to try anyway! The staff is a rod which I had to cut down to fit into my suitcase with four wooden ornaments attached with wood glue. I had to glue one piece on each night and keep them clamped together for 24 hours. The tiny piece at the very top of the staff had to be dremeled into shape to correctly sit on the curve of the ball. Once everything was glued together, I drilled a hole onto both sides of the ball and began to paint.
I used burgundy and gold spray paint for the base colors and then used black acrylic paint to add some detail. Once that was done, the staff got a nice glossy top coat and was ready to be packed away. The wings are baby doll wings that are mounted on wire the exact width of the drilled holes. This way they can be attached at any time which makes it much easier to travel with!
Photo by 4th Age Photography - 2017
Photo by me, edited by Clover - 2017